It’s a good question. Ask it of yourself every once in a while. No answer will make you stop writing, and over time you will find that you have given every response.
1. Because I’m a jerk.
2. No one listens to me when I speak.
3. So I can start a revolution.
4. In order to write the Great American Novel and make a zillion bucks.
5. Because I’m crazy.
6. To keep me from going crazy.
7. Because I am channeled by William Shakespeare.
8. Because I have something to say.
9. Because I have nothing to say.
10. Life is temporary, writing lasts.
Why do I write? I write because I’ve kept my mouth shut all my life and it’s time for me to speak out. I am always facing that creeping agony that all this will pass. The truth is I have a way with words. I can make the terrible wonderful, the unspoken spoken.
Alone at my desk, I discover what has passed through me when I write. I write because I am crazy, schizophrenic, neurotic, obsessive, compulsive and suffer from Post Traumatic Stress. I know it, accept it and I have to do something with it other than go to the loony bin.
I write because there are stories that people have forgotten or are too scared to tell. I write because I am a woman trying to stand up for myself. I write because I dare to tell what happened and make it art. I write so that I can face my own life. I write because I run deep and my soul aches.
I write out of joy. I write out of hurt. I write to make myself strong and to come home to myself.